IB Subjects Groups. Tutoring Worldwide!
The six IBDP subject groups and course offerings are summarised below.
- Group 1: Studies in language and literature Taken at either SL or HL, this is generally the student’s native language, with over 80 languages available.
- Group 2 Language A2 subjects, which have been withdrawn. The interdisciplinary subject Literature and Performance can also be taken at SL.
- Group 2: Language acquisition. An additional language, taken at the following levels: Language B (SL or HL), or Language ab initio (SL only).Latin and Classical Greek are also offered and may be taken at SL or HL.Following the replacement of the Language A2 option with the Group 1 Language and Literature offering for courses starting in summer 2011, the Language B syllabus was changed: the coursework is now more rigorous, and at HL, there is the compulsory study of two works of literature (although this is for comprehension rather than analysis and is only assessed through coursework). In addition, B SL students can study one of the texts as a replacement for the optional topics.
- Group 3: Individuals and societies. Humanities and social sciences courses offered at both SL and HL: Business and Management, Economics, Geography, History, Information Technology in a Global Society (ITGS), Philosophy, Psychology, and Social and Cultural Anthropology and Global Politics.The course World Religions and the interdisciplinary course Environmental Systems and Societies are also offered at SL only.
- Group 4: Experimental sciences. Five courses are offered at both SL and HL: Chemistry, Biology, Physics, Design Technology and Computer Science. The course Sport, Exercise and Health Science and the interdisciplinary course Environmental Systems and Societies are offered at SL only.
- Group 5: Mathematics. In order of increasing difficulty, the courses offered are Mathematical Studies SL, Mathematics SL and HL, and Further Mathematics SL and HL. The computer science elective courses were moved to Group 4 as a full course from first examinations in 2014.
- Group 6: The arts. Courses offered at both SL and HL: Dance, foreign languages, Music, Theatre, Visual Arts, and Film. In lieu of taking a Group 6 course, students may choose to take an additional course from Groups 1–4 or either Further Mathematics HL (if already studying Mathematics HL) a Computer science course from Group 4, or a school-based syllabus course approved by IB.
Need help with your IB subject groups? We got your back!